A deaf dog can be a beloved addition to any family. They are gentle, intelligent, and playful animals. It's important, however, to remember that a deaf dog needs special care. In order to provide the best home for a deaf dog, it's beneficial for a potential owner to learn more about these unique canines.
There are a few reasons why dogs lose their sense of hearing. First, hereditary conditions have been known to cause deafness in dogs. In fact, a dog may be deaf from the time of birth. Secondly, a dog can lose its hearing as the result of a bad ear infection. Regular veterinary examinations are helpful in keeping a dog's ears healthy. Finally, many dogs experience hearing loss as they get older.
Every owner of a deaf dog should recognize that their pet's safety is top priority. There are a variety of ways to keep a deaf dog safe from harm. One way is to exercise the dog in an enclosed area. This ensures the animal a healthy amount of activity in a controlled, safe environment. Another way to keep a deaf dog safe is to establish a method of communication with it. For instance, some owners of deaf dogs use hand signals to give their dogs important commands. A means of communication between a deaf dog and its owner can help them to avoid dangerous situations.
· Deaf Dogs: Information on caring for a deaf dog including training suggestions and various activities to participate in.
· Information Regarding Deafness in Dogs or Cats: A collection of facts concerning deafness in dogs and cats.
· Information about Deaf Dogs and Other Animals: Facts on animals and deafness with a section that lists the breeds of dogs more prone to inherited deafness.
· Deaf Dog Ownership: Suggestions for owners of deaf dogs on how to best care for your pet.
· Facts on Deaf Dogs: A gathering of facts and stories about deaf dogs.
· Owning a Deaf Dog: An article that illustrates the rewards of caring for a deaf dog.
· Ideas for Owners of Deaf Dogs: Helpful ideas and suggestions for owners of deaf dogs.
· A Look at Deafness in Dogs: Information on deaf dogs including a look at the BAER test.
·The Facts on Working with a Deaf Dog: Advice and suggestions on having a deaf dog in your household.
· A List of Facts about Deaf Dogs: Read a collection of twelve things that are true about deaf dogs.
· The Background on Deafness in Dogs: A look at the causes of deafness in dogs.
· Canine Audiology: Read some news about the study of deafness and hearing loss in canines.
· Studies in Eye Color and Hearing Loss in Dogs: An interesting explanation of the influence of a dog's eye color on its chances for loss of hearing.
· BAER Testing: A list of information that illustrates the details of a BAER test given to a dog who may have hearing loss.
· A Project on Deafness in Dogs: Information on deafness in the Rhodesian Ridgeback.